Erich Mendelsohn

mendelsohnneu

De La Warr Pavilion

Erich Mendelsohn (Allenstein, Ostpreußen 1887-1953 San Francisco) took on a number of department store commissions. The Rudolf Petersdorff store of 1927/28 in Breslau consisted of a steel skeletal structure that was partially dressed with travertine plates and glass windows. He used a continuing horizontal band of glass that wraps itself right round the edifice, which characterises most of his stores. Besides the Breslau (Wroclaw) store, Mendelsohn built further department stores for the Schocken company in Nürnberg, Stuttgart and Chemnitz.

 The De La Warr Pavilion of 1935 in Bexhill on Sea was designed together with a fellow architect Serge Chermayeff. The modernist style is present again through the use of a concrete and steel construction where glass is used prominently.

 Both Mendelsohn’s department stores and this pavilion in their new building materials make a streamlined, industrially designed look which was quite an innovation for the time.

 

NextGen ScrollGallery thumbnailNextGen ScrollGallery thumbnailNextGen ScrollGallery thumbnailNextGen ScrollGallery thumbnailNextGen ScrollGallery thumbnailNextGen ScrollGallery thumbnailNextGen ScrollGallery thumbnailNextGen ScrollGallery thumbnailNextGen ScrollGallery thumbnailNextGen ScrollGallery thumbnail
De LA Warr PavilionDe LA Warr PavilionDe LA Warr PavilionDe LA Warr PavilionDe LA Warr PavilionDe LA Warr PavilionDe LA Warr PavilionDe LA Warr PavilionDe LA Warr PavilionRudolf Petersdorff department store